On 18 May 2020 (Monday, 5th Jestha 2077 B. S.), Nepal Geotechnical Society (NGS) hosted an online program using ‘zoom meetings’ facilities to mark the 26th NGS Day amid the ongoing state of COVID-19 pandemic daily life restrictions.
The one-and-half-an-hour program was attended by nearly 70 NGS members including an estimated 10 members from abroad (e.g., the USA, the UK, Australia, Japan, and Thailand). There were four specially invited NGS senior members who played a significant role in building a strong NGS foundation in the early days.
The program flow was slightly altered by inviting the overseas-based senior members onto the panel and requesting them to deliver a few words of comments, suggestions, and possible course NGS could take for its quicker development as well as for the development of the field of geotechnical engineering in Nepal. The program was held in the below format.
- (11:10 AM) Commencement with MC’s introductory remarks on program format and program speakers
- Welcome address by the President
- Two-year activity report by the General Secretary
- Senior member comments (by Immediate Past President, Immediate Past General Secretary, and Past General Secretary)
- NGSS President’s remarks
- Comments/suggestions/guidance by the overseas-based senior NGS members (including one Japan-returnee senior member)
- A brief presentation on COVID-19 issues, difficulties, and plans ahead by the President
- Response to member concerns/comments/questions
- Chief Invitee’s remarks (President, Nepal Engineers Association)
- (12:35 PM) Wrap up and closing remarks by the program chair and vice president of NGS
The program speakers: (Photos will be put here soon.)
A slightly edited version of the whole program video is available on the NGS YouTube Channel link below.