A Geotechnical Model Competition Organized by NGS

On 26 February 2023, Nepal Geotechnical Society (NGS) organized a Geotechnical Model Competition at the Pulchowk Campus of the Institute of Engineering as a pre-event of the First NGS International Conference Series, the GeoMandu.

The competition was participated by seven engineering colleges in Nepal with seven geotechnical models presented and demonstrated by 40 undergraduate students. An estimated 400 visitors came to the event to witness the creative and innovative models made by youths.

The displayed models were evaluated by an eight-member judge committee chaired by Prof. Dr. Amod Mani Dixit comprised of prominent personalities in the field of geosciences and geotechnical engineering. The evaluation criteria were based on relevancy to the topic, impact of the model, uniqueness, audience appeal, and demonstration technique.

Prof. Dr. Shashidhar Ram Joshi, the Dean of the Institute of Engineering, TU was the Chief Guest of the event and A/Prof. Dr. Indra Prasad Acharya, the Chief of Pulchowk Campus, IoE, TU was the Special Guest. Dr. Mandip Subedi, the Vice President of Nepal Geotechnical Society gave away the certificates of participation to all the competition participants and commended their efforts. He also extended his best wishes to the competition participants and motivated them for their future endeavors. The competition organization committee was led by Er. Suvarna Singh Raut. The program was run by Er. Rajan KC, the NGS Youth Coordinator.

The presented geotechnical models were themed with slope failure protection, ground shaking pattern, soil liquefaction, ground settlement, glacial lake outburst flood, ground improvement techniques, geotechnical structures, soil structure interaction, geotechnical disasters led by the failure of engineering structures, slope protection systems, hazard management practices, and groundwater-related problems/solutions.

The judges were impressed by the exceptional talent and creativity displayed by all participants, making it difficult to select the top models. Along with the judges’ scores, visitors’ votes were also considered while determining the winner. The score from the judges accounted for 80% of the total score leaving 20% for the visitors’ votes.

The top 3 winners based on these criteria were:
First – Khwopa Engineering College (Liquefaction in Kathmandu Valley)
Second – Pulchowk Campus (Geocells in Sub base of Roads)
Third – Himalaya College of Engineering (Comparison of Soil Nailing by Normal and Helical Shaft)

Consolation – Kathmandu Engineering College (Soil Stabilization by Nailing) and Khwopa College of Engineering (Mitigating measures of Landslide in Hill Slope)
Most Innovative Model – Universal Engineering and Science College (Reducing Effects of Liquefaction in Kathmandu Valley by Piling Techniques)
Collaboration Award – Everest Engineering College (Roadside Slope Stabilization using Bio Engineering)

The selected top participants got a chance to participate in the upcoming International Conference, the 1st GeoMandu held on 16-17 March 2023, at Radisson Hotel Kathmandu. The winners also received their prizes on the conference day.

This NGS event was coordinated by the Geotechnical Youth Committee with an aim to encourage creativity and problem-solving skills among young students and grow their desire for geotechnical engineering as they place their imagination, problem-solving skills, and workmanship to the geotechnical models.

Judge Committee
Chair – Prof. Dr. Amod Mani Dixit
Er. Mandakini Karki
Dr. Bharat Mandal
Er. Bharat Bahadur Dhakal
Dr. Basanta Raj Adhikari
Er. Nareshman Shakya
Dr. Mohan Prasad Acharya
Er. Arjun Poudel

Special Thanks To:
Terre Armee, Title Sponsor of the Program

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *